Friday, August 15, 2014 | By: Unknown

Making it on Your Soldier's Salary: Part 1

  

     One of the most common things you find in the military is families trying to make it on income. The hard part about this is making it on an enlisted soldiers income.

     I am always telling my family "You don't join the Army to get rich." If you don't believe me check out this pay chart for your average enlisted soldier.

    Now I know I don't have to worry as much as most. My husband has 20 years in and is a senior enlisted soldier.  The longer you are in the better the pay (for the most part).

      The very first step you need to take is creating a budget. This is something that a lot of soldiers either don't like to do or just don't know how to. Either way you don't have to go at it alone. The Army has plenty of programs to help you manage your finances.  How do you find them? Well you can ask your FRG leader or your NCO. My husband has always been really great at helping his soldiers with these kinds of issues, but if you don't feel comfortable talking to them find someone you are.

     I know what a weak first step. What about the other tips and tricks you have. Well if you don't have a solid foundation for your finances nothing else is going to help you. All of the other things I have learned aren't going to work. Some times in life you just have to do a little bit of work to make things work.

     If you aren't so fond of getting financial help from the military don't worry about that either. There are plenty of websites on line that have information for you. Dave Ramsey (a financial counselor) has his own military program and I have heard a lot of great things about it.

    Taking this first step will help you really help you with your relationship with money, your relationship with your spouse and lay a solid foundation for any other tips to come. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment